Our mission is to organise a world-class event in a safe environment and enable participants to raise much needed funds for charities. We are committed to promoting the development of a healthy lifestyle and giving women an opportunity to participate in the sport of athletics.
The Vhi Women's Mini Marathon is the biggest all women's event of its kind in the world. It has grown from its beginnings in 1983 with almost 9,000 participants to a staggering 41,006 women participating in 2014.
Since 1983 nearly 1 million women have entered the event - and the Vhi Women's Mini Marathon had a record field of over 41,006 in 2014. This event has grown as women’s interest in their own health and vitality has developed over the last three decades.
Indeed, it is not only women who have benefited from the event, but the charities are also the big winners. In 2016 it is estimated that almost €6m was raised by the participants bringing the total since the race started in 1983 close to €203m. All charities benefit as it is the women themselves who decide who they will support and many local causes gain vital revenue from the event. It is now the biggest single day charity event in the country.
- It is the biggest all-women’s event of its kind in the world.
- Since it was first run in 1983, there has been a total entry of 1 million.
- Approximately €210m euro has been raised for charity since its beginning in 1983
- About 25 miles of specially designed ribbon is used for the medals
- Numerous bands and dancers provide entertainment to add to the carnival atmosphere of the day.
- Women of every age and every walk of life take part -while the majority would be in the 25 to 45 age brackets, in the 2016 race there were more than 379 participants over 70 years of age!
- The Mini Marathon idea has been copied in several European cities - Liverpool, Glasgow, London and Oslo organise all-women events.
- Every county in Ireland is represented in the race and most support a favourite charity or cause - just over half the entrants are from Dublin but all 32 counties are well represented.
- The event is known worldwide - women from a number of countries have joined us (Spain, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Switzerland, Wales, Scotland, Belgium, Sweden, Denmark, France, England, Australia, New Zealand, United States, Canada, Saudi Arabia, Iran and Japan) have all joined in the fun.